Wednesday, January 1, 2014

"Streams"

Hidden in the words
My heart pours out
Everything I see
Is somehow part of me

The way I see it
The way I say it
Giving it all a reason
Changes with each season

Gray clouds overhead
Tilted earth beneath
Winter’s temp begs to fall
And pull me down
  Temptation’s call

Box of clean and of fresh
Another soiled by what passed through flesh
A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
What the heck?
That’s what happens when pen just rolls

Heavy set and muscles flat
Need to lose that burdensome fat
New Year’s Day—do I resolve
Or trust in God my life to solve?

A waist is a terrible thing to mind
As in a tyrant, grumbling on high
Am I supposed to be fat?
Or can I shed that?

What’s the point, tipped in ink
That marks up paper as I think?
At least it’s not a broken pencil
You know? Pointless

My pen has a ball that rolls
God gave me a call that grows
With each passing hour
My stomach turns and milk sours

I have not met my dreams
They drag their wearied feet
Refusing to get up and run
Or is it me who thinks all is done?

Fourteen years since technical fear
Add a couple since the end year
And now we wait, still here
When are you coming, coming near?
We wait for you, your people dear
Even so, Lord Jesus, come quickly near

Where’s the fruit?
Should I turn away from meat?
My belly cries “No!”
But I must wait for God’s “Go!”
Not my decision
  But Yours O God
Shall I, shall I?
Tell me, tell me

No comments: